Who You Are Matters
Hi! My name is Ryan Melsness and I am from Ventura County, CA. I grew up in the small town of Somis, CA which is nestled alongside groves of oranges, lemons, and avocados directly in the middle of Malibu and Santa Barbara. I come from a family of four with three dogs–my mom, dad, sister, two maltipoos, and a chocolate lab. I am well on my way to graduating from USC this May and hope to be progressing towards living a very happy and fulfilling life surrounded by the people I love. I hope to get there through hard work, following my passion, and surrounding myself with like-minded individuals who are also ambitious, intelligent, and supportive.
I am like my dad because I am hardworking, ambitious, have a love for sports, and have a dark sense of humor. I am like my mom because I am kind, caring, empathetic, and organized. I am unlike my parents because I like to do a lot of things that they don't like and have not done in their lives. I love backpacking, camping, skiing, snowboarding, concerts, festivals, and surfing; all things I picked up over the years on my own.
I have developed some expectations for myself and there is a small part of me that is operating under someone else's expectations. I know that my dad wants me to be successful in the field of business similar to him, and my mom wants me to do something where I will make a lot of money. However, I also want to be successful and make a lot of money so while there is some outside influence from my parents, I have similar expectations for myself.
Someone other than a relative that lives life with great passion and personal responsibility is my best friend, Anthony. He is very inspiring as he works extremely hard, has encountered many difficulties and roadblocks in his life but has never given up and continues to work very hard. He continues to do things he likes to do while also maintaining a very balanced and productive schedule.
A wild animal that I feel a special connection with is a dolphin. I love dolphins as I see them when I am out surfing and I rode/played with one in Jamaica on a family vacation when I was younger. They are beautiful animals that glide through the water with grace and elegance. There was a very special tree in my backyard that had these small little red berries that would grow from it. It was a very large green tree that had lots and lots of leaves. The leaves smelled crisp and refreshing and the berries were fun to play with as a kid. I used to love going out to that tree to sit under or climb up and just think about life.
Lastly, my sun sign is: Leo; My moon sign is: Aries; My Rising sign is: Scorpio.
Hi Ryan,
ReplyDeleteIt is very cool that you live directly in the middle of Malibu and Santa Barbara! I love both of those cities, they are so beautiful and fun! I used to have three dogs, but unfortunately one of them just passed away a couple of months ago. Also, working hard, following your passion, and surrounding yourself with like-minded people sounds like a great plan to get you where you want to go so just keep doing those things!
Hi Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous that you grew up with three dogs! My family is allergic to most animals but as soon as I have a post-grad apartment (and a job) I'm getting one! Your comments on if your goals are self-inspired or not was really interesting to read. My parents definitely have expectations for me, both in terms of job type and salary, but I have to think that I would've developed a desire for personal success on my own. To hear you articulate your personal aspirations being so similar to the ones set by your parents was good for me to read, because even though they technically may have "inspired" my goals, wanting a successful career is still a valid goal–not to mention a great one!
Hi Ryan, I am also very entrepreneurial and business minded. Its great that Marshall provides us with so many great opportunities to network and grow our business ventures. Like you I grew up in southern California, and your area sounds absolutely beautiful! Loved the imagery of the oranges, lemons, and avocados! Wishing you the best in all your business adventures and a successful career!
ReplyDeleteHi Ryan,
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool that you surfed with dolphins! I love watching them and they seem so friendly. One of my bucket list goals is to ride one so I am very jealous. Also, I love that your goal is to live a fulfilling life because it encourages you to pursue more opportunities! Good luck on your last semester!
Hi Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI got a chance to play with dolphins and totally get what you're saying about their elegance. Dolphins are also surprisingly smart which is interesting.
Hi Ryan ! That is so cool you are from Santa Barbara-- I almost when to UCSB, I loved the area. Dolphins are also one of my favorite animals, they are always remind me of peace and being at the beach, which is where I grew up by. Your memory from childhood with nature was so descriptive I could really tell how impactful and memorable the experience was for you.
ReplyDelete