Book 1, Post 1
The book I’m reading is American Like Me by America Ferrera. I decided to pick this book because it looked like the most interesting choice out of the options provided. Not only did the title grab my attention, but I found it intriguing that the author’s name is “America” as well. I read a few excerpts and reviews about this book, and it stood out as a great book to read. Not only does it have a 4.34-star rating on Goodreads, but it has a lot of very positive reviews. For instance, a reviewer named Sachi says, “please stop whatever you’re doing and buy this book.” Based on these great reviews and my curiosity for what this book entails, I decided to pick it to read. I hope to learn a lot from this book. I love reading to learn new things so I hope I can learn a lot about others’ cultures, perspectives, and experiences. Other than being immersed in the cultures themselves, there is no better way to learn about these things than to read firsthand experiences from well-known Americans. Growing up in Southern California to a family who was also born and raised in the United States, I have had a true “American” experience. I am curious how my experience growing up here has compared to others’ experiences.
So far, I am getting a lot out of reading this book. I really liked America Ferrera’s introduction that is full of passionate and personal stories from her childhood. You can tell she is open and tells every story exactly how she remembers experiencing it as a child. It’s sad to read about the bad experiences she had in school growing up with other kids stereotyping and putting their negative biases towards her. The one big kid telling her, “They don’t care about us. It’s just Americans like you” really impacted her and I completely understand why. It puts things into perspective and goes to show you that your words truly have a lasting impact on people—regardless how old you are when you say them. I like the fact that this book isn’t just America talking about her experiences growing up as an American with parents born elsewhere, but it includes short excerpts from others as well. I also enjoyed reading Reshma Saujani’s stories growing up as an American. While she always makes up a different name to tell the barista at Starbucks and could never find a keychain with her name on it at a store’s kiosk, I have never experienced these things. It’s humbling and compelling to hear these stories other Americans have experienced growing up in the same country that I have grown up in. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book.
Comments
Post a Comment