Book 2, Post 2
I really enjoyed reading The Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World by Wade Davis. I found this book to be very interesting and reading it was an enriching experience for me as I did not previously know much about the ancient people, practices, and cultures that came before us. Through the various stories and personal anecdotes told by Davis, I gained a new appreciation for indigenous cultures around the world. I found myself reflecting on my relationship with the natural world and the cultural traditions and practices that I see that shape my view. In a way, Western Culture has separated us from the natural world and this has heavily contributed to environmental issues and cultural homogenization we see today. I have an even stronger desire to travel the world and learn about the different cultures that exist in the different countries as well as their cultural traditions they have and ones that have existed before them as well. I enjoyed each of the different chapters/sections of the book as they all focused on a different aspect of the different cultures and traditional knowledge. I'll talk about a two of my favorite chapters that I read.
I found the first chapter to be very interesting because it focused on wayfinding and the Polynesian navigators. Through reading this book, I came to find that wayfinding is the ability of certain cultures to navigate their environments using traditional knowledge and techniques. I had heard about the Polynesian navigators and their unique wayfinding techniques before as I learned about them during my visit to Hawaii. They were the first people to explore Hawaii and discover it out in the vast Pacific Ocean. I found it very interesting to learn more about them and how they used only the stars, wind, and waves to navigate the open ocean. I can't imagine anyone doing that in today's day in age as that is a truly remarkable feat that they were to accomplish. It's very interesting how the Polynesian navigators did not memorize directions or follow a route, but instead they used their deep understanding of the natural world such as the ocean, the stars, the wind, combined with their cultural traditions. This made me realize that traditional knowledge is still relevant and valuable in our modern world as there is so much to learn from cultures and practices of wayfinders that came before us.
Another chapter I found to be especially interesting was chapter 3. I am very interested in the environment and the impact climate change has on our planet. It was very compelling to learn about the impact climate change has on the Inuit people and what they are doing to adapt and combat it. The Inuit people have developed such a a deep understanding of the natural world and they have done a lot to adapt their practices and knowledge to the changing conditions where they live. I thought it was really intriguing to read about how they have developed a complex system of language and terminology to describe the different types of sea ice, which has proven to be critical to their ability to navigate the Arctic. Davis talked about how important it is to preserve the traditional knowledge of the different indigenous communities with modern globalization and cultural homogenization. It seems extremely important to preserve these knowledge systems of the different indigenous communities across the globe because they can provide valuable insights into how we can approach modern challenges. Overall, I learned a lot about different topics from this book and found it to be very eye-opening.
Hi Ryan, I also read The Wayfinders by Wade Davis and I think I was impacted similarly to you. I agree, it was very eye-opening and insightful to read about all the traditions of these ancient cultures. This book also made me want to travel to learn more about both ancient and modern cultures as well. It’s easy to get trapped in a bubble of what we grew up around—which is why it is so important to educate ourselves through travel, research (and reading this book). Also, its super cool that you were already able to learn about Polynesian wayfinding through your trip to Hawaii. Thanks for the post!
ReplyDeletehi ryan ! I really enjoyed your post. I have not read this book but your feedback makes me want to ! I really liked how you were honest about Western culture shielding us and changing our perspective -- I think this is something many are oblivious to or do not acknowledge. I also really enjoyed how you selected a specific chapter and offered your insights on it. Your specific detail and vivid descriptions helped demonstrate you really understood the book but also seem inspired by the insights gained. I recently went to Hawaii for spring break so this was very interesting to connect to !
ReplyDeleteHi Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI also read the book and I loved chapter 1 as well. It is really cool to learn about how different cultures used their available resources in different ways than us. It is hard to imagine how they can just rely on their intuitions, but it shows the value of traditional knowledge. Also, since Hawaii is so close to us, it is interesting to more about it!
Hi Ryan! I really enjoyed reading this post. It seems like a lot of people chose to read this book and I think it sounds like a very insightful book. I enjoy reading and learning about different cultures so I found your summary very enlightening! I think it also really cool that this book talked about the impact of climate change. Overall, great analysis!
ReplyDeleteHey Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI also read this book and enjoyed your takeaway from it. Learning about the different languages and cultures made me rethink many of the things It take for granted, such as having a GPS on my phone. I agree its important to preserve the knowledge, culture and language of indigenous communities because they provide valuable insights on the way we live. Being in touch with nature seems to get less frequent as we develop technology, but it can be very important.