World We Dare to Imagine Pt 1
World We Dare to Imagine Pt 1
I can think of multiple ways I can make the world a better place, however, one particular idea stands out to me. One of my passions is to start a poke bowl restaurant in Southern California (Los Angeles or San Diego area) that embodies sustainable practices and my personal values of empathy, kindness, and open-mindedness. My restaurant would be named something along the lines of Surfside Bowls, Pacific Bowl Co., Priceless Poke, or Poke Paradise.
At my restaurant, I want to prioritize sustainability by sourcing fish that is sustainably caught and using eco-friendly dishes and silverware. I believe that supporting sustainable practices is crucial to preserving the environment for future generations. A big problem in the world as far as sustainability goes is overfishing and unsustainable fishing practices. Overfishing leads to an imbalance of fish that can harm the food web and lead to the loss of valuable marine life. Therefore, I think it's important to support fishermen who emphasize sustainable fishing practices. In addition, eco-friendly dishes and silverware would be a big focus at my restaurant. These would be biodegradable and compostable bowls and silverware made from plant-based materials like bamboo, sugarcane, and wheat straw. These would then be composted along with food scraps to break down naturally.
In addition to sustainability, I also want to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere reminiscent of Hawaii with the idea of "aloha" present. The idea of "aloha" is an important concept in Hawaiian culture that focuses on kindness, compassion, empathy, openness, and a spirit of love and harmony towards others. My staff will be trained to provide excellent customer service and will exude charisma and kindness. I believe that the energy of the restaurant and its employees can truly shape a customer's experience, therefore, I think it's very important for this to be a crucial focus of my restaurant.
I also plan to offer traditional Hawaiian-style poke ingredients such as shoyu and spicy ahi tuna, sesame seeds, furakake, and a slight Californian influence including ingredients like seaweed salad, cucumber salad, and avocado. I believe that a diverse menu that includes both traditional and innovative options can cater to a wide range of customers in Southern California.
Lastly, I would like to give back to the local community through various ways: offering discounts to local organizations, creating a scholarship or internship program for local students that may want to pursue a career in the restaurant industry, sponsoring local events through providing foods and drinks, and hosting a charity event where a portion of the proceeds from the event are donated to a local charity.
Furthermore, I hope to make a positive impact on the local community and economy as well as provide an amazing dining option for those that love some poke!

Hi Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! It is very practical and beneficial to the environment-- it reminds me of the Creating Shared Value theory. I especially like how you want to establish the idea of "aloha" in your business. I think creating a culture is hard, but makes creating a sustainable business easier because it attracts the right kinds of people and sets forth clear objectives. Great idea!
Hi Ryan, I think you took an interesting approach to answering this question. I think it highlights the idea that restaurants or other small businesses can create a large impact. It would be cool for you to create a SoCal Poke Bowl restaurant.
ReplyDeleteHi Ryan, I love this idea of creating your own poke restaurant – and how while it is a relatively small action plan in the grand scheme of things, it can absolutely make a positive impact in one's community. Making the world a better place certainly starts from more local efforts such as yours. I love your approach to sustainably sourcing fish, and especially incorporating uplifting messages related to kindness and compassion. I think for our world to become a better place, one thing we need to do is become more unified, set aside our differences, and live in harmony with one another, which is what your plan can help us achieve!
ReplyDelete